Sunday, February 20, 2011

The night before embarking on my new hip journey

OK, so I have never blogged before.  This will be my attempt to keep you all posted on my first hip resurfacing and the progress.   In summary, I have femoracetubular hip impingement (FAI), which has caused full blown osteoarthritis in both hips.  Chronic hip trauma as a youth or genetics, you tell me?  I knew I had limited range of motion several years ago, but it wasn't until a year ago when I really began the search that got me here.  I visited several ortho surgeons and found out that arthroscopic surgery would not be very successful for my condition and a total hip replacement was not appropriate for my lifestyle and age.  I chose resurfacing and elected to have surgery a little earlier than many folks in this position, mostly because I want to be active again and be able to have fun with my teenage boys before they leave home in a few years.  

Here is the night before we embark to Seattle.  I'm anxious and have not been heeding warnings to take it down on the beer prior to surgery.  Stress kills!  I spent most of the weekend prior to surgery working on a beefy wood and steel ship's ladder for the kid's room and every time I drilled into steel or wood, I'd remind myself of the surgery. Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment